About a year ago I decided I should knit something for my husband. The only problem was he already had a lot of lovely (although machine knitted!) woolen jumpers. I didn’t want to make him another one that would just take up room in the cupboard and only get worn a few days a year. It doesn’t get cold enough in Sydney to warrant having a vast range of woolen sweaters.
Instead I thought I’d tackle something a bit smaller and a bit more useful. The logical item was therefore a scarf in his team colours; white and maroon for the Manly Sea Eagles. Although as it turned out, I’d just finished knitting a scarf for my step-son, yellow and black for the Wests Tigers, and to be honest I was a bit over garter stitch.
After a few rows I started experimenting with the continental knitting technique just to mix it up a bit. But of course jumping back and forth between English knitting and continental knitting just meant that the tension was all over the shop and the result was not straight. The scarf ended up going into one of my drawers and didn’t see the light of day for a good while.
Then I went on a colour knitting course at Morris and Sons and learned about double-knitting. This was a technique where you knit with two strands and end up with reversible fabric. This would be absolutely perfect for the manly scarf and also let me put some writing on it so it wasn’t just boring stripes!
(NB I didn’t actually learn to double-knit at that colour knitting course, they taught stranding. But they did show us what double knitting looked like and then I went to look it up on You Tube.)
Husband’s birthday is coming up a the end of January and so I decided to pick up the project and start again. I like to think that I was waiting for the right time to finish this project; it had nothing to do with me getting bored first time around.
First step was to unravel some of the work I’d already done so that I could re-use the yarn. I did this for a bit and then (can you see a pattern here?) started to get bored. So I cast on without unraveling the whole first attempt.
I used an iPad app called Design Knit to come up with the pattern for the word “Manly” and then set about to do a test run to see how it would look. And this is the result!
I’m so happy that it turned out OK because double-knitting is very time consuming and I didn’t really want to spend too much time working out the pattern. I’ll keep this as the first stripe in the scarf! Hurray!
PS There’s no way I’ll get this done in time for the actual birthday, but I figure as long as it’s done before the footy season starts I should be OK. It’s way too hot for scarves at the moment anyway.
PPS Yes I know I should have washed the wool after unraveling the previous scarf, but I don’t have a lot of patience or time and that just seemed too hard.
PPPS I know that by not washing the yarn it’s going to take me that much longer as it gets all tangled etc. So not washing it was probably more about me being impatient than not having enough time.